Skip to main content

Firebird review

It is not all that often that I have trouble writing a review, but for Firebird, it has proved a real challenge. Phil Davies's Firebird follows the grooming of a fourteen year old girl, Tia. She is vulnerable, having been in care since the age of three.  A decade on from its first performance, Firebird plays at The Southwark Playhouse, in a revival directed by Marlie Haco. 

The play opens with Tia and her friend Katie talking (and drinking). Katie attempts to play a game with Tia - who could not be more disinterested. This, amongst other elements, creates a maturity gap, or even fun gap, between the two. Tia's more "mature" disposition is seemingly a sign of what is to come... or what has already happened. The play is somewhat non-linear, and we as the audience are dropped into a situation with very little understanding. It is us that has to piece together all the events in this play. 

This very deliberate incitement of confusion is all the more compounded by Tomas Palmer's minimalist set. It has a conceptual weight of traumatic memories being fuzzy, or even repressed. Another intelligent visual element: objects used at various points in the play (vodka bottles, clothes, takeaway packaging) are kept scattered around the stage. The objects a sign that traumatic memories are a burden, that they cannot be shaken. Also brilliant is Ben Jacob's lighting. Fluorescents hidden around the sides of the stage are bought towards the centre in order to simulate the harsh lighting of a kebab shop. At a later point in the play, a panel is opened in the ceiling in order to allow "sunlight" to creep through. Tia basks in this glow as if it is the first time in days, weeks even. 

Firebird felt a little over acted in the first few scenes for the size of the space, but this is a real nitpick. I wonder if this deliberate to give a contrast to later scenes in the play. Some scenes of dialogue, although highly naturalistic, feel like they could be shorter and still advance the narrative. This production takes place in Glasgow, rather than the original Rochdale (perhaps chosen because of the cast's accents, but could also be drawing on their own experiences. I wonder if there would be a certain "gutsy-ness" in keeping the play set in Rochdale. When much of the political football of the grooming gangs has centred around towns like Rochdale is this shying away from partisan conflict of the day?

But this, to some extent, goes to the heart of the play itself. No broader discourse, no systemic analysis, just a dissection of a microcosmic event. We are supposed to feel Tia's very personal struggle. That is the goal. 

Firebird has an undeniably brilliant cast, with all members showcasing both depth and sensitivity. Taqi Nazeer plays AJ, Tia's groomer. At AJ and Tia's first meeting, AJ is just a friendly stranger, who offers her onion bhajis. He says it is "good to try new things" then subtly gestures to himself, as a grim act of flirtation. It is small elements like these that make the show feel real. 

Nazeer also takes on the small role of a police officer interviewing Tia. Tia describes how a man took off her clothes, and she cannot bring herself to say what happened next. “I’m really sorry that happened to you” is his response, delivered in a monotone voice, with such apathy. At this point I actually had to prevent myself from shouting at him. This is just a hint at wider systemic problems: not being believed, not being treated with respect, wholly inadequate investigations. 

On the night I attended, the production had to be paused in order to fix a technical issue. The cast and crew demonstrated utmost professionalism in this moment. A break like this would usually throw me off focus, but on this occasion I found the complete opposite. The short recess gave me the opportunity to sit with my own emotions, and to contemplate the events I had seen so far. This production really made me angry. 

This production examines how sexual predators take advantage of their victims, and to have it spelled out in this level of detail, is horrific. Firebird conjured such feelings of resentment and disgust in me to a degree I have not felt before. I spent almost the entire play shaking my head; I felt I understood why these scandals conjure so much such strong emotions. Never have I been so blinded with anger at the content of a production. I feel totally inadequate to attempting write about this show. I felt somewhat ashamed that I got to go home to safety after seeing something like this. Victims have no such luxury. 

On this occasion I have decided not to provide a star rating. I cannot provide a rating that I feel is an accurate summation of the play. But to be clear, all those involved with this production should take real pride in what they have achieved. This is an extremely strong show, and one that conjured a deep intensity of emotion for me.

I would encourage anyone to see the show before it ends its all too short run. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Father, Away She Goes review

Father, Away She Goes, is a funny, and in many unfortunate ways, a painfully relatable production. Performed at "Pickle Studio at Greenside @ Riddles Court" the play follows Sarah, a rather insufferable art school reject. Sarah is coded as slightly vulgar, middle-class, and is a character which I dare say satirises fringe performers and audiences alike. She is messy and unmotivated, she seemingly presides over the breakdown of relationships both with her life-long friend, and with her own mother. As the play unfolds, we learn the horror of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father as a teenager.  Father, Away She Goes, is a one woman play conceived by Electra Kolb. Kolb puts in a real tour-de-force performance, holding the complete attention of the room for the entire duration of the show. On occasion she will interact more directly with audience members, and I think when considering the small space in which the production currently takes place, lea...

Tuck! review

An abstracted amalgam of comedy, sex and biological disgust, Tuck! (directed by Lou Bristow-Bell) describes itself as a "boun dary-pushing psycho-dream" play. An apt epithet. On this occasion, Tuck!  takes residence in the Baron's Court Theatre, nestling itself under the black painted brick arches of the pub cellar venue - a suitably unsettling setting.  The cast of Tuck! is exemplary. Of particular note are Jack Heffran and Samantha Begeman, who manage to effortlessly recreate the awkward flirting of a couple - in this scene the dialogue shines too. The comic timing and ability to enthral an audience that the entire cast possesses has to be commended.  The play's disturbing moments include: the description of a group ritualistically sucking the blood out of a used tampon, a woman achieving orgasm through being told by how petite she is, and the question "are you wet?" answered not with words - but by reaching between their legs and discovering copious amo...

Prudence Play review

Prudence Play is a one-woman show written and performed by Caroline Dunn. It follows Prudence, a nun grappling with her sexuality. She is adamant she is not gay though.  The play begins as Dunn enters the theatre through the back of the room (audience entrance) with a chaotic timidity, as if almost late to her own show, apologising and readjusting her flapper dress skittishly. Brittney Spears plays and Dunn takes the stage and tap dances for us. Iconic.  It is this moment that totally sets the scene for Prudence Play. Within barely a minute Prudence is established as a messy and down to earth individual; brilliance. Some of the lines early on are rather lyrical and are delivered with an slam-poetry like cadence, which is hyper-engaging. The show is funny, with a distinctly American style of humour. Prudence Play almost seems to transport a high-school dramedy mood to the nunnery, with this awkward coming-of-age lilt to everything. This seems to parallel the queer experience, w...